READY FOR Moving in the Winter
Whether you’re relocating during a warm season or the chilly winter months, preparation is always key for making your move successful. Moving in the Winter has its advantages; however, to ensure that everything runs smoothly and safely, it’s important to be well-prepared before beginning your journey.
For a successful winter relocation, the moving experts at Moving Company Maple Ridge have crafted some simple tips. Taking advantage of these guidelines will ensure your move is seamless and plenty of rewards come with moving in the Winter.
5 Tips When Moving in The Winter
With these five simple tips, your cross-country or local move during wintertime will be a breeze! Prepare yourself for the journey ahead with these helpful hints:
1.Clean and clear the road from the moving truck to your house
As you prepare to leave your current home in a snowy or wet climate, ensure an accessible pathway right up to the main entrance. Make sure that any snow on the ground has been cleared and ice melted before the moving truck arrives.
If Mother Nature throws snow or rain in your path on the day of your big winter move:
- Come prepared with a shovel and de-icing products to make sure you can safely navigate snowy roads.
- Make sure to clear the pathway of as much snow and ice as possible before your move, making it safer for you and your belongings.
- To increase friction between the house and the loading ramp of the moving truck, place a thin layer of sand, cat litter or another surface-enhancing product.
On moving day:
- If your pathway is particularly muddy, lay down some cardboard or plywood sheets to prevent further muck from accumulating.
- Clear your designated moving path of all mud, leaves, clutter and other debris to ensure a safe and efficient journey.
2. Protect Your Carpets And Floors
Moving in the Winter, Mother Nature’s elements can really take a toll on your home. Water, ice and slush make it challenging to ensure that no dirt or grime is brought into your house – making floor protection especially important this season.
No matter how well you clean up outside, there will still be snow tracking inside – yet with the right strategies, you can protect yourself from any messes!
Protect your house with clean floor coverings:
- To begin, position a sturdy doormat right at the entrance of your home.
- Ensure the doormat remains firmly in place and will not shift or budge.
- For an extra layer of protection, consider strategically placing a larger doormat on the inside of your entryway.
- Urge family, friends and our Maple Ridge movers to take full advantage of the doormats.
- To protect your carpet, tile and wood flooring from harm, utilize sturdy materials such as cardboard, plastic runners and new tarps.
- All floor protectors must be firmly secured to ensure that our movers Maple Ridge are not in danger of tripping or slipping while moving. Some carpet guards come with teeth to grab the fibres and keep them secure, but if they don’t have this feature use small tacks to fasten cardboard onto your carpets.
Be prepared for any messes made during moving in the Winter by assembling a cleaning kit ahead of time. This should contain items such as a spray bottle, carpet cleaner, brushes, clean cloths or whatever else you may need to revitalize the floors once they have been marked up with dirt or mud.
This kit will easily restore your carpets and hard surfaces quickly and efficiently!
- Create a tranquil and cozy environment for your beloved children and animals.
As your movers load up the moving trucks, the doors of your home are likely left open. This could result in a chilly environment for elderly members or pets inside during cold months as heating systems may not maintain an adequate temperature level within the house.
Therefore, it is important to take proactive measures and ensure all occupants stay warm while those belonging are being loaded into their new destination!
During moving in the Winter, make sure to secure cozy enclaves for your most vulnerable family members.
- Invest in a babysitter to take your older children out for an entertaining movie experience!
- Entrust a beloved family member to tend to your children for a few hours and enjoy some well-deserved time off.
- If you find yourself without close family, consider utilizing the services of daycare centers for children, seniors and even your furry friends!
- Reach out to your confidantes and colleagues for their recommendations on companies providing short-term caregiver services.
If you can’t find someone to watch over your pets and people, block off a part of the house when items are being loaded into the moving trucks. Provide blankets for children in this warm area and have everyone dress up in multiple layers of winter clothing.
Appoint an adult responsible enough to supervise what goes on inside, whether it be watching television, playing games, having meals or using portable heaters.
4. Securely double-wrap any fragile items to ensure their safe transport.
Extreme cold temperatures and unpredictable temperature swings can cause damage to the plastic, glass, porcelain, and other delicate items.
To ensure their safety from the elements when moving in the Winter, handle any articles made of plastic with caution when outdoors in frigid conditions. Double-wrap all fragile materials for a more secure barrier against wintry weather extremes.
To guard your goods, you can also rely on other forms of cushioning, such as bubble wrap. When you move to a new house, leave the boxes containing fragile items inside for several days before opening and utilizing their contents. That way, any temperature fluctuations caused by transportation won’t damage your belongings!
5. Prepare your vehicle for a winter commute.
Let the professionals take over driving when you hire a Maple Ridge moving company. Allowing yourself to transport your vehicle from one home to another will provide immense relief!
It is essential to have your vehicle serviced before taking it on a long-distance journey in the winter months. Avoid the hassle of a breakdown by getting an inspection from your mechanic before relocation day.
Stay calm if you’re trying to make plans for a cross-country or cross-town move – keep your car running smoothly!
Before taking your Winter moving trip, make sure to request that your auto mechanic attends to the following services:
- Ensure your vehicle’s essential fluids, such as antifreeze, are filled to the appropriate levels.
- Ensure safety and peace of mind by equipping your vehicle with snow-ready tires.
- Attend to the needs of your heater and fan promptly to ensure maximum efficiency and longevity.
- Be sure to inspect both the defroster and windshield wipers for optimal performance.
- To ensure the safety of your vehicle, regularly check and confirm that both headlights, taillights, and turn signals are functioning properly.
To ensure your safety while moving in the Winter, keeping an emergency roadside kit in your vehicle and a list of vital contact information at hand is wise.
What’s more, for added assurance during times of hardship or crisis, consider joining a reliable roadside assistance service specializing in tire changes, jump starts and tows – among other essential services.
8 Benefits of Moving in the Winter
Moving to your new home during the winter season has many rewards! Here are eight of those tremendous benefits:
- Flexible moving dates. When moving in the Winter season, movers tend to be more accommodating with their availability. You may need to provide less advance notice, or your items might even arrive faster!
- Less traffic. Thanks to the scarcity of cars and construction on the roads, travel can become more time-efficient depending on weather conditions.
- Fewer homes on the market. During the winter months, there are typically fewer listings available in the market, and sellers tend to be eager to sell their homes.
- Fewer buyers. With fewer people in the market for a home during Winter, buying a house often becomes more difficult. Consequently, most individuals opt to relocate when temperatures are milder and days longer.
- Fewer loans and less paperwork. During the winter season, mortgage lenders are often faced with a decrease in loan applications, thus leading to fewer loans and paperwork being processed.
- More time devoted to you. By relying on real estate professionals, you can rest easy knowing that your search for a new home is receiving the attention it needs and deserves.
- Fewer fees. To remain active during the slower months, lenders may waive specific fees.
- Bonus offers. When moving in the Winter, landlords are more eager to fill their vacant homes and apartments – so they offer enticing deals such as bonus offers, lowered rent or a reduced deposit.
Experience the Magic of a Winter Move with Bekins: Begin Your Relocation Today!
Are you planning a long-distance move this Winter? Look no further than Moving Company Maple Ridge! Our team of experienced moving professionals specializes in making your relocation as stress-free and successful as possible.
We collaborate with local movers all over the country, so whether you’re going near or far, we have you covered for your moving in the Winter. Get started on your journey today by requesting an free moving estimate!